Spring Beauty

Spring Beauty

I love to look for the early skunk cabbage plants as that is a first sign of Spring here in CT. They can be found anywhere in wet areas like streams and swamps because they need to keep their feet wet. One interesting fact about skunk cabbage is that their chemistry creates its own heat, often melting the snow around it. More direct sun seems to bring out the burgundy. I like to get low when photographing small woodland plants and used a wide open aperture to defocus the background as much as possible. I couldn’t move back much because the ground went uphill. The enlarged view is a bit soft, so maybe I should have used a smaller aperture.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments and suggestions are welcome and thanks for viewing.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony RX10M4, ISO 160, 1/80s, f/3.6, focal length 68mm (35mm equiv). The AWB seemed to nail it, as I placed my shadow over the plant to avoid the strong sunlight. Cloned out a small distracting imperfection; adjusted exposure and contrast a bit.

Skunk cabbage is a remarkable plant. When I learned about how it actually produces heat I was floored. The flowers are unusual and I think you’ve captured that well. Overall I like it, but feel it’s a little crispy in the contrast department and a bit oversaturated. I know where a big patch of this grows and you’ve inspired me to go take a look at it again.

Jim, Very interesting image. Initially, I was distracted by the surroundings, but with a closer look, I realized it is an interesting juxtaposition of new growth arising out of dead. The skunk cabbage arising out of dead leaves. Interesting info about how they generate heat. I don’t think I have seen them anywhere I live.

Thank you @Kris_Smith and @ravi for your thoughtful comments. Kristen, if you’re north of me it may not be poking through as yet. I also love the brilliant green of the foliage when it comes out.

Jim: I like the comp and the subject. Nice job also on being your own shade provider. You didn’t mention it and please correct me if I’m wrong but scenes like this often benefit a lot from using a polarizer. You might experiment the next time you’re in the field. Of course you lose shutter speed if subject movement is a consideration but boosting ISO can help counter that if you don’t lose too much image quality. >=))>

Thanks @Bill_Fach, I never considered that but I can see where it could eliminate some glare, even in the shade.