Northern Shoveler-female

Does the shoveler blend in too well with the water? If so, any ideas on how to fix this?

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7DII; Sigma 150-600 at 600 mm; 1/800 at f6.3; ISO 320

I like the water patterns in this one and their contrast between the plumage of the shoveler. Yes it is busy but well composed with pleasing light.

1 Like

I enjoy this frame. To your question… No, I don’t think the shoveler blends in too well with the water. It is where it lives and it looks very natural. Hopefully you took a whole series as the shoveler moved through the water to find different patterns of water.

1 Like

Hi Allen. A pleasant image. Yes, she blends well with the water-she’s supposed to. I think you want to embrace the protective coloration and not worry about making her pop from the background.

2 Likes

A really nice pose and a good side look at the shoveler. Nice and sharp as well. I use Lightroom as a RAW convertor and to get a bit of separation I will sometimes reduce the overall exposure on an image. Then I use the Radial filter which can be tugged and pulled into different circular shapes to surround the duck in this case. I check the invert box and set feather to 50 or more and bring exposure just for duck back up a bit.
I only mention this because you sort of asked the question. Three excellent photographers are saying it looks fine.

1 Like