Northern Shoveler

I was cleaning up LR and came across this file from March. There were a few other ducks in photo and an overlap with one of them. Thanks to some prompts from a few others on this site I now use the clone tool.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Because of the amount of cloning required on this photo I am wondering if it makes a difference if I do most of adjustments on a RAW file vs a TIFF file?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

ANY

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Photo is cropped to 57% of full width. 7DII, 500mm, f/4, 1/1000, ISO400

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi David
Well for the second time today I get to see a bird I have never seen before, thank you David. The Northern Shoveler looks great. The action, coloring and overall detail is right on. As for cloning, I do very little of it in DxO PhotoLab. I would think a TIFF file would be vary large and hard to work with.
Nice work.
Peter

Hi David,

Looks good–lots of detail in the whites and enough of the green showing in the head to give it some color. Cloning looks good too. Well done…Jim

You caught a great pose and the light on the wings is wonderful! I’d consider a crop from the top about halfway to the head – nothing there to balance the bottom areas. Did you try bringing out more detail in the darks? Cloning is such a wonderful tool – and cloning at partial opacity is a great way to minimize some distractions.

Thanks Peter and Jim and @Diane_Miller I had thought about a bit off the top and decided against it. Leaving the space seemed to give the duck a bit more room.