Ocotillo Snack

I was surprise to find two Pyrrhoxias feeding on Ocotillo blossoms. They would pull off a blossom and eat just the ovary, discarding the rest of the blossom. Taken in Tucson.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D500, 80-400 Nikkor lens @ 400, ISO 800, 1/250 @ f20. About 50 % crop, Small part of blossom UL cloned out.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
3 Likes

Skip, a gorgeous look at this natural setting with the Pyrrhoxias feeding on the Ocotillo. The blank sky really makes this work so well. I can truthfully say I’ve never seen an Ocotillo with such a large floral budding. I can see how the birds are attracted to this particular plant…:+1:

I really like your composition, the way the bird and flower are positioned. Nice action with the feeding and I think the bird came out sharper than your previous shot of the Pyrrhuloxia. Nice contrast with the greens and reds and the clean blue background lets the bird and plant stand out. Great job.

Well-balanced color here. Sharpness is superb. I do like the composition.