Pyrrhuloxia

This birds have been my nemesis for many trips to Arizona. They are very shy and like to stay in dense brush. I know the angle of this shot is a bit steep, but I was pleased to finally get one out of the open and with a good perch on an ocotillo.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: About 50% crop, branch cloned LR

D500, 80-400 @ 400, ISO 800, 1/250 @ f20
(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

A nice look at this colorful bird. Nice pose and the colors of the perch work well with the bird.

I have never been able to incorporate ocotillo to my shots but all my effort to do that has been focused on landscape photography. I think I may have found a better way to do it. This is beautiful, Skip. The image design works really well for me. The red is set off really well against that blue sky and the red on the leaves goes together with the bird really well. The bird is also reminiscent of the ocotillo flower. One feedback that I have is that the critical focus falls on the wing and not on the eyes although the aperture setting helps to keep some details on the head.

It’s never easy to look up at a bird because of the depth of field issues. You’ve done a good job here in taming those problems with the perch and the pose. The color and light are superb.

Very nice, Skip. I like the angle of the light. It provides nice modeling in the plumage. Interesting that this has been a nemesis bird. They’ve seemed fairly common, if not abundant at feeding stations where I’ve been in the southwest.

He is one beautiful bird, Skip. I am not familiar with the bird or the plant, but I think you did a really nice job with this image.