Oh Boy! Where do I go now?

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I love catching the hummingbirds perched out in the desert. Was hiking in a local regional desert park and saw this one sitting still enough, for long enough to try to capture it in the window of blue sky above the approaching storm. I do wonder where these tiny birds find safe shelter when these desert thunderstorms role through.

Having a smaller telephoto allowed for the sense of scale in this bird against the world image. With a longer lens, I don’t if I would have taken this image, composed this way, but, instead would have tried to zoom in on the hummingbird. I didn’t know what I was going to do with this image, until this challenge came along, So, thank you for that!

Specific Feedback

A challenge for me, in processing, was doing some additional sharpening on just the branches and bird, used the sharpening mask and de-noise section in LRC, without worsening the fringe effect and increasing the noise.

I was going to crop down from the top, but given the nature of the challenge, I decided to leave in as much space as possible.

Technical Details

Small exposure, contrast, color, and WB corrections in LRC.

You’ve captured a classic hummingbird paradox in this image Marlin. They are tiny birds with a huge attitude in a huge world. This has a nice sky in the BG, and a nice look at the ocotillo it’s perched on. I would be tempted to clone out the foliage in the LRC, or crop a bit tighter in the frame to get a touch more of the hummer.

Thank you for the comments, Ed. These birds are fun to watch, if you can keep up with them. Our dog is a Pug, with much the same attitiude. I will play with that RLC. I like the feel having all of the expanse and sky present, so I will see what I can do with cloning first. I didn’t do anything with this image, because I thought the foliage in the RLC gave some balance, but I also like the idea of opening up that area of the sky.