Oh Deer

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I had just stopped photographing this tree and pointed my camera in another direction when I saw some movement in the corner of the eye. I just turned around quickly and got this shot.

Specific Feedback

Any comments are welcome!

Technical Details

In post-processing I wanted to achieve a rather high-key feeling reducing the structure in the snow and increasing the blackness of the objects.

6 Likes

The amazing thing about photography is you could have sat there for a while waiting for the deer to move into the frame, or like what happened, it was just an instant. Either way, the result is stunning. The still tree and the moving deer work so well together. And the running is nicer than if they were just standing and grazing. Yes, the high key is the way to go with this. I do like the slight shadows under the deer. Maybe if they were a little darker that would help ground the deer a little. And they would create a few more diagonal lines leading to the tree, like the fence. Though, the shadows might be there, and it’s my monitor that is not pulling them out. Very nice reaction taking the photo. Well done.

Beautiful. High key is spot on. The direction of the deer and the diagonal fence line lead us to the bare tree. I see why @patrick6 suggests darkening the deer shadows, but doing so might increase the “structure in the snow.”

Hello, @Ola_Jovall. What a compelling composition! I love the story behind you getting this shot and agree the high key treatment was an excellent choice. When I view the image full-screen the deer appear a bit soft but that may be the resolution of my monitor, plus I’m sure they were moving fast! I think this is a great image, and appreciate you sharing your work.

Love the composition and particularly your decision to reduce the structure in the snow, so that in a quick glance, the deer appear to be flying like Santa’s reindeer.

What a fun image! Winter at its best with bare trees and running deer. A great capture. I love it when that happens, when we are shooting something, and then something else enters into the picture. Well done!

Absolutely amazing image!!!

I love the sort of fantastical vibe in this image. With the high-key processing, it’s almost as if the deer are flying into the tree. It really makes you take a second look, which is exactly what you’d want! I like it!

@Cathy_Proenza, @Judi_Hastings, @Jim_Gavin, @J_Fritz_Rumpf, @Ric_Federico, @Paul_Holdorf and @patrick6 thanks for your kind comments and advise.

Good suggestion, I will try that.

Yes, they are somewhat soft. My camera settings where for taking landscape images and not moving animals. Hence, the shutter speed was too long to freeze the action.

@Ola. This is such a simple and yet fantastic image. I love the running deer and the bare tree against the pure white BG. Nice one.

@Ed_Williams thanks a lot for your kind comment.

This image just pop up again… glad it did, as I do not get tired of it. Brilliant capture; incredibly well timed. Thank you for sharing this, Ola!

@J_Fritz_Rumpf, thanks a lot! Glad you liked the image.

1 Like

This is so good, Ola! As they say, when you got lucky, you were prepared. It doesn’t matter that the deer are soft - they’re clearly running top speed. And the many sets of tracks in the snow tell the bigger story, of even more deer/animals passing along the same way. Don’t change a thing.

Beautiful Image… Great lines in the trees and contrast with the animals and snow.

@Gill_Vanderlip and @Bonnie_Lampley thanks a lot for your kind words.