Old Mill_Gatlinburg, TN

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

First time trying long exposure to capture the water. I thought it would make a great B&W. I cant seem to figure out how to remove the Halo along the roof and the lens flare in the tree.

Technical Details

.8 sec at f10, ISO 100. Tripod with 6 stop ND filter

Nice scene, I love the complexity and the various structures and textures, this is I think indeed perfect for B&W. The exposure is bang on for the water, you get just that right amount of smoothing without loosing the lovely textures and reflections, makes it really pop up. I am not entirely sure it works for the speed of the wheel, as the spokes are almost gone, but it’s a difficult situation.

I have never had much luck with removing prominent flares like this, so I tend to use a big hood when shooting into the light, or even just shield the lens with a hand. Leaving the sky brighter might do away with the hallow, I think there is enough of interest in this image for it to work even if you were to leave the sky almost pure white.

For the B&W conversion in general I would experiment with levels and/or the contrast curve, I think the image would benefit from having more pure black in it, and possibly more pure white (I was thinking perhaps getting the peeling paint on the concrete pillars very close to white). But it might not be the aesthetics you are after.

Hi Greg I moved this to everything else critique because it doesn’t fit natural landscape. Nice composition and toning .

This is beautiful, Greg. The bit of halo above the buildings just about disappears visually when viewed larger, so it doesn’t bother me much. The lens flare does look like an issue. You might be able to carefully select it in LR and try a little dehaze to see if that helps.

Thank you both for the advise. I have lighten the sky and I do agree that it helps.

Additionally, I used the new AI Generative Fill to help with the lens flare. had not thought of that before you said something. Not perfect but much better.

1 Like

Lightening the sky certainly helped and the generative fill also seemed to work pretty well. It does look like it left a bit of an artifact, but a second touch up with the same tool sometimes cleans that up (and sometimes makes it worse).

Thank you! I tried the same process several times and this is the best I could get it.