One Less Termite +RP

It took a number of attempts, but I managed to get a capture of a Yellow Billed Hornbill as it tossed a termite.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
1/1250, f/8 and ISO 220

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Lovely. Your patience paid off. The first thought that occurred to me is it is going to take an awful lot of termites to fill that bird up!
I like the action. I like the pose. I like the details and the colours.
Crops can be a personal thing so a little off the bottom and a little more on top??
It is a dandy.

1 Like

Excellent color, detail and action. I would also crop off the bottom and perhaps make portrait crop rather than square.

Thanks to both Davids for their comments and suggestions. I tried a number of different crops, but came back to the square and moved it higher to include more sky and less termite mound. Richard

I prefer the second version over the first. You captured the hornbill at the right moment. Well done…Jim

Excellent capture! The lighting is fantastic - even with a catchlight in the eye! Superb moment! I like the sharpness of the birds feathers and eye. This is probably a bit nitpicky, but the texture of the OOF mound and sky look to be sharpened as well? If that’s the case and could be removed, it would perhaps help focus the eye to the bird. Regardless, this is just great!

Superb detail and great action, Richard. If this large a bird is living on termites, it should have given you a fair number of chances, but catching this so well is still quite an accomplishment.

Great timing ! I do like the repost best. Cheers, Hans