Open for Lunch (if you are an Eagle)

In late fall when it starts getting cold the river levels drop considerably and some of the shallower branches end up being closed ponds of water. It typically strands some salmon that were headed upstream to spawn which makes for a feeding frenzy of seagulls, crows, ravens and bald eagles. This is an adult bald eagle tearing apart the carcass of one of those stranded salmon while a couple crows standby for an opportunity to dash in and grab a piece. The odds are not good until the eagle gets its fill.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony a6500, SEL200600G @ 500mm, ISO-800, f/7.1, 1/3200, hand held.

@garyminish

Really nice image Gary that tells a story of feeding and species interaction. Exposure and sharpness look good to me. I like the amount of reflection you included on the bottom. Well done.

I agree with Allen. Good composition to get a good eye focus.

Excellent detail in the eagle and one can almost see the patience in the crows as they wait their turn.

A very nice moment in nature. Love to see the eagles doing their thing along a river.

All the details looks great and I like the angle.

I think the head looks a bit dirty. You said this was an adult and it looks like it, so I wanted to see the head / tail a bit whiter.

While I was looking I wondered if there was more detail to be had in the crows and if toning down the branch at the top would be beneficial.

Here’s the result.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to do the re-work, Keith. Darkening the tree trunk works great & brightening the eagle’s head looks nice although its actually not realistic. The eagles here are in the sand, mud and fish guts all the time and they are constantly scrapping with other eagles so its actually pretty rare to see a bright white pristine eagle head! The crows don’t work at all for me. They don’t even look real, more like plastic mannequins. Somewhere in between the two might be good.

Hi Gary
Love to see Eagles doing their thing, the crows will just have to wait. Really nice low angle and reflection. The detail look good on the Eagle and I agree with Keith on lowering the background and adding more detail to the crows. Nice work.
Peter