Orange-crowned Warbler Taking a Bath

After the first bath

After the second bath

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

From the same session as my last post. I’m always amazed at how wet a bird can get when it wants to and how dry it can stay when it doesn’t. This guy definitely wanted to get wet. He was in and out of the upper pool half a dozen times in as many minutes. The bathing shot was actually taken between the two perched shots, but I put it at the beginning because the story makes a bit more sense that way.

Specific Feedback

Anything you’d care to share. I cropped the bottom up to avoid showing the front edge of the pool on the first shot and then added some canvas at the bottom to balance the image better. In this case, content aware fill didn’t work well so I had to do some manual repair down there. The other two images were pretty straightforward.

Technical Details

All images taken with Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, tripod with gimbal head, f/9, 1/500, iso 2500, manual exposure. Images cropped to about 60% of original pixels. Taken June 11th at ~1:10 PM under cloudy skies.

Whatever repairs you effected works for me, Dennis. I’ve had various levels of success with content aware. A fabulous bird caught in what I think is the most fun time for birdwatching. Really nice setting and of course, the flying water droplets. Very nice images.

A nice bath set, Dennis, finally see the name sake crown. An interesting befuddled stare down look at the camera in #2. I like the water drop caught on the chest.

What a terrific series. You put them in the right order for sure. I’ve never seen this bird at all, never mind having a rinse! I used to love watching birds in the big puddle that formed in the driveway of my old house. Such fun with the splashing and shaking and goings on. A treat to see this.

Hi Dennis, love getting such a good look at the orange crown on this guy as I rarely see it this distinct. Each shot is very well done. I do detect some motion blur on the face in the first shot but that is minor given the action captured. Love the water drops flying around in that image. Nice captures.