Orange-Crowned Warbler

Taken yesterday in the smaller of the two pools at my permanent blind. It was overcast all day allowing photography up to lunch and probably thereafter, if I hadn’t had chores to do. Most of the more interesting birds come in after about 10:30 when they’ve had a chance to get their breakfast and maybe feed chicks and they’re ready for a bath. This makes me really like overcast days.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything. I did quite a bit of patchwork on the background to remove specular highlights and also added some blur to the upper area. The line of out-of-focus foreground at the bottom was also darkened.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 562 mm, tripod with ball head and Sidekick, f/8, 1/500, iso 2000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Neat Image for noise reduction. Cropped to 13.8 MP. Taken yesterday at 11:24 am under overcast skies.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Really nicely done Dennis. Love the wet look of the bird and details are great. Nicely composed in your water garden. Well done on the post processing too.

This is perfect, Dennis! The details are just super good in the feathers, and throughout the bird. You really have that water garden set up nicely. Glad it was overcast for you to be able to get this so nicely. Nature’s softbox!

Nice one, bathing bird offer always that extra! Good work on the techs. Love it ! Cheers, Hans

I am really enjoying the color and detail on this one. The wet plumage looks great. Very nice contrast between the warbler and its environment.