Orange Crush

The hummers seem to love these lilies, though they would appear to contain little nectar.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any. Just trying to improve my in-flight hummingbird skills.

Technical Details

Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM Zoom @ 240mm, f/11, 1/2000 sec., ISO 1250. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping. I did separately select the hummer in PSE to increase exposure a bit. Topaz De-noise applied.

Hi Terry
Love Hummingbirds. This photograph has nice detail and coloring. The only thing I would look at, is maybe cropping a little of the right side of the frame.
Peter

1 Like

Very nice, Terry. The hummer looks just a bit soft. When I’ve shot them like this I’ve used just the center AF point and possibly the surrounding four (I’m not sure what the 60D setup is), then cropped to make it work. It usually has done a pretty good job of grabbing focus on the hummer that way.

Thanks @Dennis_Plank. Yeah, one of the short-comings of the 60D is its’ lack of AF points, having only nine, total. If you’re not right on the subject - which I wasn’t on this shot - focus can be off a bit.

Hummers are really hard to shoot and get in good focus because they move so much. Yes they stop to hover but not for long. Have you tried using Topaz sharpen AI? That might help with the detail and sharpness. But a nice composition all the same.

1 Like