Orb-weaver and green darner + repost

Last summer, my wife spoke at the TEDx-Salt Lake City conference on biomimetics and how molecular structures define material properties using spider silk as an example. Coincidentally, we found out that Antelope Island SP had a spider festival around that time and thought it will be a good opportunity to get some images for her talk. I took several images, but we ended up not using them.

One of the image sets I was able to get was of this western spotted orb-weaver capturing and feeding on a green darner. We saw the dragonfly get caught in the web and the spider was on it in an instant. It moved away as I set up my tripod, but came back a few seconds later once it realized I was not a threat.

If you are interested, here’s a link to the TEDx talk.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I am interested in getting feedback on the composition - particularly where I positioned the subject(s) in the frame (too centered?)

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any pertinent technical details:

180mm macro on tripod, 1/400s@F11 (+1Ev in aperture mode), ISO250

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Oh my, that’s quit a catch. The details in both the spider and the DF look great, The background is also quite nice. There’s a bit of extra brightness around some of the fine details that looks like either over sharpening or too much micro contrast, reducing that would make this fine image even better.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, @Mark_Seaver. The bright spots may be from sharpening for the web.

Here’s the same image reprocessed, but with minimal sharpening. Let me know if the artifacts are still present.

Regards,
– Govind

Definitely like this one better.

1 Like

The repost is notably better.

1 Like

I like this behavior image ,and you dont come across this very often…

Balan Vinod

1 Like

Govind: I do like this as is. In a perfect world I would like to see the web a little better. Next time take a spray bottle :wink:. I think the position of the subjects in the frame is fine. I like how the DF wings serve as leading lines to the action. I did a slightly tighter crop for your consideration and I made the web that was going across the URC go away. Great catch of a unique moment. >=))>

PS: The color shift on my post is not intentional. I like your BG much better.

1 Like

Very good suggestions with the spray, @Bill_Fach. I will consider it when I look for spiders in future.

I have a few images where the web is more visible, which I’ll post next. I wasn’t sure if I should clone/crop out any part of the web in this image, but much of it is hidden against the background and I feel your edit brings the focus more on the subjects.

Hi,

Your repost eliminated the sharpening artifacts. This image shows quite well that even predators are targets for the hungry in nature. Well done…Jim

Excellent, Govind. I think the wing controls the frame position for this one and I think you also want sufficient web around the subjects to show what is happening (who is eating whom). To that end, you might look at ways you could process this to accentuate the web which is nearly invisible.