Orchard Orbweaver with Diffraction

August in spiders in the woods time. After a lot of searching I found this Orchard Orbweaver on her web catching a strong ray of sunshine, so I could include a good amount of diffraction from her web. (R5, 180mm macro, 1/200 s, f/8, iso 800, tripod)

Mark, I like your shooting angle on this, rather than a straight on shot of the spider in the center of her web. It brings out a lot of light diffractions in the web, and the lines all lead to the subject. Very nicely done.

Hi. I think this is a glorious shot putting the “flaws” in the optical system to good use. Love the color shifts on the web and the strong diagonal lines. I wonder if an even tighter crop getting rid of the blank spot in the upper right corner might make an even stronger image, but I’m not sure:

The angle makes it look like this is another galaxy from a place far far away, Mark. Love the colors you’ve gotten from this unique angle. Nicely seen.

It does look like a deep space scene! Nice find. I’ve never been able to replicate this so every time you put one up it’s a treat. I prefer the crop with the URC out of view. So much detail and color to enjoy.

Kudos …Mark …you nailed this one.

Balan Vinod

October (Arachtober) is normally our month in Korea for spiders, but it was foggy this morning, dew on webs, so I started on spiders today. If I ever get a shot like this I’ll be very happy. To my eye there is also one of those illusions here where both LLC and URC seem closer to the camera than the web center. I’m guessing the LLC was further away because of the spider’s angle…but I’m still not sure! Great to get the spider in such good focus in a shot like this.