Osprey Perched

I shot several shots of this Osprey up in Virginia last September. He hung around for quite awhile and gave us several poses. I like the perch, and the way he stood in this one. The sun was getting up, so the light was beginning to get harsh.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything you see.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything that would improve the shot.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Canon 7D Mark II, Canon 100-400 mm L lens, handheld, f8, 1/800, ISO (auto) 160.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hi Shirley, I like the pose here with the bird giving a slight head turn and still catching the light on the head. Nice eye too. I also like the composition with the diagonal perch - even though it is rather large I do not find it too overwhelming in this case. Nice that he perched right on the end. Nice details too. A fine image.

1 Like

I very much like the light and detail on the bird (along with the slight head turn). A smaller perch would be nice as Allen mentioned however, the Osprey chose for you…

1 Like

Excellent, Shirley. A wonderful pose that works very well with the angle of the nice perch. I like the way the light caught the eye-it’s always great when that happens. Detail and exposure are both excellent.

Thank you, Allen, David and Dennis. I appreciate you viewing and commenting. I shot this at Chincoteague NWR last Sept. It is one of my favorite places to go and shoot. Never know what you will see there each visit.

I think you handled the lighting well, @Shirley_Freeman. I like the profile angle of the osprey and the clean minimalistic image showcases it well.

1 Like