Osteospermum Intacta

This one is a 9 image focus stack at f/11 to get the entire flower in focus. Note to self: water drops really don’t show up well on white petals.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

5DIII, 180 mm f/3.5 macro lens, tripod, f/11, 1/1000, iso 800, manual exposure, 9 image stack using Helicon Focus. Further processing in LR & PS CC. Topaz Detail 3 for bringing out petal detail. Taken at 8:21 am on April 30th.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Dennis: This is really nice and even though the drops aren’t immediately obvious they are still very nice complementary elements. Top notch shot. >=))>

Dennis, this looks great. Even though the drops don’t “pop”, they show well in the larger views and add nicely to the story. If you want to be super persnickety, there is a subtle light rim around the three petals near the stem that is a stacking “artifact” often seen when you’ve got a strong bright/dark transition. The colors and shapes in the center are very striking.

Great look at this pretty flower, Dennis. Not being one who stacks, I can’t comment on that part of it, but it looks like a very nice shot to me.

Dennis, this is quite nice. I really like the sharpness throughout the flower. I also think the water drops show up well enough and add to the photo.

I’ll add to Mark’s comment about the stacking artifacts. I see some from about 1:00 around to about 8:00. It looks like they should be pretty easy to correct.

Thanks @Mark_Seaver and @Craig_Moreau. I thought I’d gotten all those. I need to remember to put a high contrast layer on when I’m looking for those critters. It’s normally easier to fix them in Helicon Focus, but the images were a bit underexposed and the darker lines didn’t show there.

Dennis,

This one is much improved over your earlier post. In the large view, the water droplets show up nicely and you have just enough details in the whites for a realistic and detailed presentation. Well done…Jim

No knowledge of stacking process, but it looks good to my eye. Pure white without being blown out and I love the addition of the water droplets. Nicely done.