Ostrich ferns as seen through fern fronds

Description: I often enjoy photographing with leaves right in front of the lens; they are out of focus and add what I think is an interesting overlay to the image.

Specific Feedback Requested: Any and all, especially how the soft green overlay feels to you.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)
Single image

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

1 Like

This is lovely and very interesting, with the mix of detail and color overlay. I love the brighter, more yellowish areas in the bottom half. I wonder if it would be interesting to experiment with the high-pass “sharpening” effect or the similar-sounding edge-emphasizing effect that @Kris_Smith described: Keep edges sharp with Orton Effect

Thanks, Diane. I cropped it to a square to emphasize the yellower parts , darkened it ever so slightly, and sharpened just the edges in LR. I’m going to live with it but feel it has a great deal to offer.

John, the green “vagary” works very well here. Years ago this technique was regularly used by posters to Flora. The called in “Cramming”. I do find the blank area a bit distracting, which has me wondering about a view filled (or mostly filled) with the arching leaves, but that’s my vision, not necessarily yours.

Thanks, Mark. Glad to know the technique I’ve long used has a name! I do think the revised image, based on Diane’s comments, is more successful and have here tried even more to see how that might work. Again, I think it is an improvement but will live with it while to see better.