Otter on Dock

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Distracting?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Is the bright red bumper too distracting and how would you remove it if you felt that is required. I’m not well versed at Photoshop but I am looking to learn.

Technical Details

Olympus E-M1MarkIII, 300mm F4.0
1/80 sec @ f5.0, ISO 200

1 Like

I like this pose a lot. If it were mine, I’d look at out the white and the red triangles in the background… and maybe that little circle over its rump.

Roger what @Dave_Douglass said. Open your image in PS and duplicate the BG so you can delete it if you mess up. Zoom way in and open the Clone tool. If you don’t have the Toolbar, where it resides, go to the top under Window and click Tools.

Make the brush size small enough (the square bracket keys) and leave the softness slider to the left and the opacity 100%. The circle is easiest. Alt-Click on a black area near it and move the brush over the light area and paint away. Keep choosing new source points as needed. Then paint from that dark area into the red. And from the blue in the upper right to remove the white triangle. Then you could go after the lines that extend into the blue. As you get close to edges that you don’t want to paint over, just make the brush appropriately small to give a soft edge.

Oh, yes, nice otter!! He looks very curious, which engages the viewer’s attention. Good DOF and nice setting, too.

I just love the curious Otter and there is great detail in the fur.
As for the red traingle, you may desaturate it and it won’t hurt that much. White traingle is easy to clone out but bright & warm highlights in the BG are also a problem, that needs to be tackled.

Hi Greg :slight_smile:

I really like this image quite a lot!
I agree that the red needs to be de-saturated, then the small triangle at the ULC should be removed or cloned out.

Trying to convey instructions for Ps via text without visuals can be pretty difficult (to provide as well as interpret) so I recommend that you take a look at a few of PIXimperfect’s video tutorials.
He currently has 4.8 million subscribers, I know that I have learned a lot from this young fella.
He has a bunch of very good playlists and I recommend starting with this playlist: Link>>> Photoshop for Complete Beginners | Lesson 1 <<<Link

I’ve been using Ps for many years but I always learn something new from PIXimperfect’s tutorials.
He’s easy to follow in humble view.

If you need specific clarification, just let us know and we will try our best to help you out. :slight_smile:

Hope this helps! :slight_smile: