Ouiatchouan River

Hi, I took this picture many years ago with a Nikon D200, a 10 megapixel DSLR, and recently re-edited. I had no tripod and used ISO 800, a high value at the time. The low resolution limited the amount of editing I was able to do. I suppose I could resize this picture and it might give me more latitude but I am just speculating. Instead, I went for a b&w rendition. I welcome any suggestion & critique related to the artistic, technical and post processing aspects. If you have any experience with image resizing, I would appreciate your thoughts on this matter. Thank you.

1 Like

Richard, the composition here is top notch and I really like the shutter speed you have chose to capture the motion in the water. I really appreciate the choice to go B&W in this. I am of two minds about the spotlight on the water. Maybe it’s a little excessive, I would consider letting the light flood a little bit to the LRC area…

Richard, I like the composition. And I think the rock walls of this “canyon” work really well in B&W, they have interesting shapes and texture. I agree with @Adhika_Lie that the image might benefit from some tonal balancing, darkening the white water, and revealing more detail in the LRC. Here is a rework this illustrates the direction that I might take this. I think this tweaks reveals some more interesting detail and texture in the water and rock shelf in the LRC.

Hello Adhika, thank you so much for your comments. I agree with you regarding the amount of light on the river and I will tone it down. I will put a bit more light on the LRC as well.

Hello Ed, thank you for your suggestions and for sharing your interpretation (I like it a lot) of my photo. I was a bit too enthusiastic when I added light on the river… :wink:

Glad you liked my suggestions. Regarding the light on the river, sometimes you can make things appear brighter by darkening the area immediately around it. In this image I used a darks luminosity mask to burn the darker tones in the water, leaving the white water almost untouched.

Hello Ed, that’s a great idea, thanks for the tip.

This is a lovely capture! I like the suggestions above. I’m often a fan of burning edges but I might back off on this amount just slightly. Unfortunately, upsizing won’t give you any more tonal latitude.

Hello Diane, thank you for your comments and for sharing your thought regarding upsizing. Take care.