Out for a Stroll

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

It was a cold October day. I thought this little bug was dead on the sunflower, but then he started going for a walk! I made it “artsy” with Topaz filters and liked how it ended up.

Technical Details

Not sure of settings, have to go back and find the original shot. I have it…just need to find the folder. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I really like what you did with the processing, Judy! It makes it look like a painting. Beautifully captured too.

Judi, I love this image a lot. The “artsy” touch really makes this even better than it probably would have been otherwise. The back side of what looks to be a dying sunflower, and the Ladybug going for a stroll on it really tells a nice story of nature.

Hi Judi, love the artsy treatment. The lighting is dramatic and the added texture brings an additional point of interest. Great to catch the ladybug on the edge of the flower petal. Well done.

Beautiful Photograph !!! It has a soft vibe to it and movement is created by the leaves. Beautiful TONE !!!

Thanks so very much! It was quite the surprise to find him/her alive and walking about. It was so cold out and nearing winter. I did some google search and found some interesting things about lady bugs. Thanks again!

Thank you so much Allen! I appreciate your feedback. Yea…i was like “don’t do it buddy, don’t jump!”. He turned around. :slight_smile:

Thanks Gill, I appreciate your thoughts very much!

Thank you Vanessa! I liked making it into a painting also. The background was a brick wall, and the filter helped to kind of soften that.

1 Like

Hi Shirley, thank you for your feedback. Yes, the background was that of a building. And yes, the sunflower was about done in. It was so dang cold out, I was shocked the little thing was still alive and moving. I’m glad you like the artsy touch. People seem to love that…or hate it. Thanks again!

1 Like

Wonderful image! I’m not sure about the added texture, but I definitely like the soft glow you’ve managed.

Thank you for your feedback! Its appreciated.

At the risk of hyperbole, I was reminded of Michaelangelo’s “Creation of Adam” (at least the right half of it, the outstretched hand, etc.) - I think you’ve done really well here, Judi. The texture enhances it for my eyes.

This is beautiful Judi! The lighting is outstanding as is the comp. I really like the artsy texture, especially how it softened the building and made the background so soft and complimentary. And the ladybug outs it all over the top. Excellent work!

Thank you SO much Steve for your uplifting words and critique. :slight_smile:

Judi: I’m really late to this party but this is a marvelous image. Superb comp and placement of the subject in the frame and your processing treatment is very pleasing. Superbly crafted image. :+1: :+1:>=))>

Thanks Bill, very much, for your thoughts. I appreciate the feed back!

Hi Judi, this image caught my attention and I loved it immediately. I know I’m late to respond, but I wanted to share my thoughts. One thing I would change is to burn or darken the highlighted roots that keep my eye going to them instead of the ladybug. Here’s my quick suggestion:

1 Like

I am very new to this site. This is just lovely and I hope by joining this community, some day I can do this type of photography and editing. It reminds me of a children’s book illustration!

I love this image.My initial impression was that it looked like an illustration for a children’s book. So soft and warm. I can visualize turning the page and wanting to see what next happened to the lady bug. Kudos. Paul Hetzel

1 Like