The Visitor I

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Here is the image I meant to post yesterday! Another of my bug on flower images — the only creatures I ever manage to capture!

Specific Feedback

Does it work? I will appreciate your appraisal of it.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 5DsR; 50mm macro lens; ISO 400, f/20, 1/160 sec.

3 Likes

I see no issue with this composition. The complex flower and corner placement of the soldier beetle works in the black and white presentation. I like this one as presented…Jim

Hi Susanna, I like this as presented as well. Nice sharpness throughout and the black and white works very well. I like the bug in the lower left corner. Well done.

Thanks so much, @Jim_Zablotny and @Allen_Sparks! The color version is striking, but I always seem to mesnder into black and white! And there it stays. :blush:

Susanna, I really like this one very much. No doubt where the soldier beetle is intending on going. The composition really works well for me. I also like B&W. I don’t know why I don’t use it more often, having started out in B&W many years ago. Well done!

Excellent, Susanna. As others have said the B&W works beautifully for this subject. I love the angle you used for the flower with that lower petal forming the perfect walkway for the beetle. Well done.

Thanks so much, Shirley. Yes, I’ve found that I’m hooked on B&W. I never quite adjusted to color since B&W photography is also lifelong for me.

PS I hope that the storm is not too disruptive. They seem to be going further east and north this year.

Thanks, Dennis!

This is gorgeous! The petals curved over the center of the flower are wonderful, and the beetle is such a lovely and lighthearted touch!

Thanks so much, Diane!

1 Like

Don’t know if it’s fair to compare this with your “Visitors II”, but for me this is the clear winner, for the composition, petal shapes, clear black between petals - above all for the positioning of the bug. Well taken, Susanna!

1 Like

A beautifully composed and presented BW. The contrast of the beetle against the flower is top class.

Balan Vinod

Thanks, Balan!