The Visitor II

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I love photographing magnolias! And for the last couple of years, I’ve been finding them with little visitors. This is one of them. I don’t photograph animals (my motto is that “I don’t shoot anything that moves!”), but every now and then, capture a bug on a flower or plant.

Specific Feedback

I welcome your thoughts on this! Thanks.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 5Ds R. 105 macro lens, ISO 1000, f/16, 1/320th second

2 Likes

The geometry in this image is wonderful, Susanna. I like the depth of field with the interesting flower center and both bugs in nice sharp focus. Very well done.

Susanna, I agree with @Dennis_Plank on this shot. And the visitor has the petal leading in toward him, calling attention. B&W really works for me. Everything works for me in this image! Well done. This belongs on a wall somewhere prominent.

Stunning image Susanna! This caught my attention immediately, the shapes and tones are magnifcent. I would consider cropping in from the top left a bit. The petal on the top right is so close to the edge of the frame it can make some people uneasy, same with the top left petal on the left side. I choose to cut off the petals to make it more cohesive with the other petals. You could consider darkening the background as well, but I’m 50/50 on this idea :laughing:. Fantastic work either way!

I love Magnolias, both the appearance and the heavenly scent! My thought was to crop from the left as @David_Kingham did, but I added canvas to the top to preserve the interesting shape there. But it is a bit attention-getting and I think I like his crop better. My immediate reaction, though, was to think this would be wonderful with a little more tonal detail in the whites and a vignette. This is a very clumsy effort, but just to toss out the idea. It needs to be subtle.

Ooh boy, the crop ideas are too many to contemplate. I think if the idea is to showcase the pollinators, I’d go tighter to eliminate the awkward edge at the top where the petal looks haphazardly included. If it’s to show the whole flower with the beetles (they look like Goldenrod soldier beetles, but it’s hard to tell in b&w) as incidentals, I’d go with Diane’s wider canvas addition which also avoids the awkward petal placement. Darkening the bg to 0 worked well, too. Keeps our eyes on those luscious petals.

The light and DOF are so great in this. The light being what I call lickable. Great control of the highlights and shading and natural focus fall off. Really gorgeous.

Dennis, thanks so much! I did a bit of a crop and will post that separately. I think. I’m still not oriented to the protocols. :blush:

Thanks, Shirley! I have a slightly cropped version that I will upload. I’ve appreciated the feedback!

1 Like

David, thanks! I did the crop that you suggested and think that it works well! I’ll post the image separately. I didn’t darken the background since I like that subtle detail. Appreciate your input!

Thanks, Diane! I really appreciate your thoughts on the cropping, tonal detail, and vignetting. I did crop per David’s suggestion, and it seems to work well. My goal is to keep the focus toward the center of the flower, not exactly on the bug(s), but the sweep in (if that makes sense!). I’m going to post my edit. Thanks, again!

Thanks, Kristin! I am finding the input on this and other images so helpful. I did crop per David’s suggestion (and yours, to go tighter). I’ll post a new version. PS I have a feeling that there are ways to answer and post edits that I’m not aware of. I hope I’m not inundating everyone!

Hi @Susanna_Euston . The easiest way is to go to the bottom of your initial post and click on the edit (pencil) icon. You can then place your cursor in the editable post and use the upload (yellow up arrow) to add the new version where you want it. The custom has become to put the new version at the top and add labels to identify the revision and the original. You should also add an “and repost” to the title. Then just click the yellow button on the bottom (I forget what it’s labeled ) and you’re done.