Ladybug on Lavender

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was visiting a new lavender farm in Central Coast of CA, early morning. My friend pointed out the ladybug and I loved the contrast of the red ladybug on the deep purple of the lavender.

Specific Feedback

This is my first time posting so I’m a little nervous about this…
I love the 3 stems of lavender in the foreground as well as the softer flowers in the background. However, I want to print this and am wondering if the edges need to be cropped as the flowers there may be distracting. At the same time, I would like to print this at 11x14 and if I do crop the sides, I’ll lose either the top of bottom of the main stems. I’d appreciate any feedback on the edges issue, where and how to crop, as well as the image in general. Open to any/all suggestions. Thank you!

Technical Details

1/4000, f4, 100mm, editing in Lightroom

Hi and welcome to NPN Madeline - don’t be nervous, we’re all here to help each other and improve our craft. A lovely introductory image for sure. I haven’t spent time in a lavender field, only drove by some, but now I regret not stopping. Good on your friend for spotting and pointing out the ladybug. It stands out really well and makes a nice counterpoint to the flowers.

Overall I think this has potential. Exposure looks good as does the white balance. If I was standing next to you I might have moved over slightly to separate the stalk the bug is on from the ones immediately behind and to the right. Separation is key when things are this far apart to begin with. If they were more densely planted, a looser composition can work well.

So, what to do with what you have? Well, I think raising the blacks might help with the softness that is more evident in the background. This would harmonize the elements a bit more. You could also select for the background and soften it further by moving the clarity slider to the negative. I might also tone down the brighter green on the left in the middle.

You could play with crops as well - maybe try and see if the sharp tip to the left of the bug flower looks ok cropped out. That will put the beetle at the extreme edge, but that might work. Edge patrol is key with an image like this and cloning the bright bit of lavender toward the lower left corner could help, too. It’s all about bringing more attention to the strengths of the photo. Those strengths are the crisp focus on the ladybug, the lovely contrast of colors and the repeating patterns. If you’d like me to edit and post a shot with my changes, let me know. I also have ideas for a Photoshop edit, but you didn’t mention using that so I’ll leave it off if you’d rather.

Really a lovely shot that just says summer to me.

Hi Madeleine, and Welcome to NPN! :slight_smile:

There’s certainly no need to be nervous around here, we’re all very friendly and pretty laid back so feel free to relax and enjoy your new environment! :slight_smile:

BTW, Awesome images in your flickr portfolio!! You have a great eye for photography!!

The image you posted here is very nice and the colors are great! The ladybug is certainly icing on the cake for me! :slight_smile:

You’ve asked for some fairly specific feedback and provided some limitations and that’s great, that’s what we like :slight_smile:

I feel that the brightness of the flowers in the background are bright enough to compete for attention with the three that are your main subject, maybe the trick is to remove them altogether.
I also feel that there is more visual weight on the right making it feel unbalanced.

The fix in my personal view would be to crop some off of the left and use Crop - Content Aware Fill to add canvas on the right in Ps, the goal would be to place the ladybug more in the central area of the image. You can also use the Remove tool in Ps to remove any areas that might not come out looking smooth and natural but, this all depends on how you feel about using Content Aware Fill and the Remove Tool. Cloning can be an option as well.

The 11x14 ratio is pretty limiting since that would effect the top and the bottom (removing from either one doesn’t seem like an option) so, the above method might be a good choice in my view.
Personally, I think the top could use a little more canvas as it is.

The idea I have above would create empty areas on the sides but (depending on the actual framing), the empty space can act as a buffer between the three flowers and the frame.

Please take my ideas with a grain of salt, they are pretty subjective, it’s just my personal opinion.

I guess I’m one of those people that feels that sometimes “Less is More” :slight_smile:

Here’s a sample edit just to visualize my thoughts, just keep in mind what it might look like if there were a fame around it.
And most important, if this doesn’t align with your vision or meet your expectations, or if it’s the kind of editing you’re not willing to do, please disregard the example and the thoughts :slight_smile:

And again, Welcome Aboard, Madeleine! :slight_smile:

Thank you, Mervin, for all your great suggestions! Can you recommend a better aspect ratio for this image that would give me more flexibility in processing and printing? Thanks again!

1 Like

Hi Madeleine,

Let me work on what aspect ratio might work out better for printing and processing besides 11x14, I’m getting ready for bed so it’ll be first thing in the morning.

Couple of questions:

• Do you mind using things like:
    Content Aware Fill
    Remove Tool
    Clone Tool in Ps?

• Are you having this printed or printing it yourself?

• Do you have anything against skinny and tall ratios like 2:1 ratio (8x16" for example)?

Off the top of my head I’m thinking about a 2:3 ratio for a print size of 8x12" but I’ll see what might work out better in common print sizes.

Thanks, Madeleine and have a great night! :slight_smile:

Hi Madeleine,

I done a little more research for print sizes and I came up with a 5:8 ratio for a 10x16" print size, this seems like a good size to be able to keep most of the original composition but still balance things out a little better.
I did add a little more canvas to the top and I created a selection of the main in-focus flower, the one with the ladybug, then I copied it and pasted it to the top of the layer stack in Ps so I could darken the background a little, in my view this adds a bit more emphasis to the main flowers.
Without knowing what your personal printing options are, and not knowing what your thoughts are on using the Remove tool, this seemed like the best option to suggest for now.

Anyway, I hope this helps in some way! :slight_smile:

Mervin,
First thank you for all the time and thought process you out into my questions! I really appreciate it.

I am not very proficient in PS however, I can use the content aware tool and remove tool. Cloning is a work in progress. I am printing this myself on my Canon Pro 200 printer.

Re: sizes, I was hoping to stick with more standard sizes for ease in framing without having to do custom mats or frames. I use an Olympus (now OM System) camera which is MFT.

However, I’m open to any suggestions! Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Madeleine,

I can certainly understand what the concern is and until now I didn’t realize that there are ready made frames in 11x17 inch. most come with a mat for use with a 9x15 photograph or, an 11x17 inch photograph without the mat.

Here’s a link to one at Target but they can be found on Amazon and other places as well and, for pretty reasonable prices. Link>>>11x17 Frame w/Mat for a 9x15 Photograph - Target

I’m happy to now know that I can get ready made frames in this size because I have a few images that I’d like to make this ratio.
I prefer buying frames that are ready made as well because they can get pretty expensive when it comes to custom sizes. I can make them myself but I still prefer to buy them when I can. :slight_smile:

I hope this helps, Madeleine! :slight_smile:

Thanks, Mervin! You have been so helpful! I really appreciate it.