Ladies In Lavender

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I like the background. The lavender blossoms were too crisp, so I softened them. Do the values of the background and flowers blend pleasingly? Would a vertical crop be more pleasing?

Creative direction

This is another study of the flowers in my yard. I wanted to convey the elegance of the lavender plant and treat it delicately, unlike some of the other flowers in this series.

Specific Feedback

All feedback is welcome. I used the Abstraction filter on Topaz Studio to eliminate the crisp look of the image. Is that a problem?

Technical Details

Taken with Sony a7iv and a macro lens on a tripod. ISO 500, f/22, 1.6 sec. This is only one frame.
It was processed in LR & PS using luminosity masking and Topaz DeNoise, Nik Color Efex, and Topaz Studio, as mentioned. I finished the process by using the Blur Average filter and a soft light blending mode to pull the colors together.

Description

I have done several studies of lavender. This one combines two different stems to produce the three blossoms in the composition. The original image was in sharp focus. Processing took a lot of trial and error to get the soft look I was after. I wouldn’t say I liked the finished look until I averaged the colors with the Blur Average filter. That tied the colors into the cohesive look that I was after.

1 Like

Barbara: To my eye this is exceptionally good. I like the square crop and think it works very well. The color palette is marvelous and the BG is the perfect complement. Superbly crafted image . :+1: :+1:>=))>

Barbara, the colors and BG are great. I could go either way with the portrait, or as you’ve crafted this one with the square crop. I think both would look nice. I like the texture of the BG too. Your softening makes this look like a painting. Nicely done.

It’s beautiful, Barbara. I really like how you chose three different stages of the bloom opening. I think a portrait version might work well too, perhaps adding to the slender elegance. The BG is fascinating and looks like an added texture, but maybe it wasn’t. I like how it kind of glows paler behind the flowers. Which filter or process contributed to this BG? Overall, big success.

A really nice painterly image Barbara, and I love the colours, which match the subject very well! Because of the lilac background it does have a strong ‘studio’ feeling to it. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but it might put off outdoor photographers.

The square crop works well, although a 4:5 portrait format would have worked as well, or perhaps even better by leaving less space left and right and a bit more above the tallest inflorescence.

I don’t think using any processing technique is a problem. It might be for a certain group of people, but another will love it. That is true for any treatment you will give it. That said, I personally think that you remove the crispness a bit too much, so that despite all your careful processing steps, it now seems as if you ‘just’ used a watercolour filter in PS. But like I said, this is just a matter of personal taste. Most important is that you are happy with it.

I like this a lot, Barbara. The texture goes well with the plant and the abstraction on the flower doesn’t hurt it-it just gives it the painterly look you intended. I think if it were mine, I’d give it the vertical crop, but that’s just my taste.

Thanks to @Bill_Fach and @Ed_Williams for your feedback. I agree with @Dennis_Plank and @gerard that a more vertical crop would be a strong option. @gerard, you commented about the crispness. I struggled with that and decided it did not fit with the softness of the background. @Mike_Friel, the background is a blend of two layers of a texture from my collection of textures. Here is a screenshot of that section of the process in PS.
Treatment of textures

The first layer was Luminosity at 96%, and the second was Lighten at 34%. It took a bit of trial and error to get the result I liked. That is what is so much fun.

2 Likes