Ladies In Pink

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I like the way the background supports the colors in the flowers.

Creative direction

I wanted to suggest a painting that keeps the colors vibrant but not overpowering. Topaz Lab softened the texture of the flowers and stems to eliminate some finer details. I find a plain BG too bland and always turn to my collection of textures for interest as well.

Specific Feedback

General feedback is helpful. I am particularly interested in the aesthetic nature of the study.

Technical Details

Taken with a Sony a7iv, on a tripod. ISO 125, f/22, 6 seconds.
Processed in LR and then PS. I used TK9 filters, then applied a filter from Silver Efex with blending modes to introduce the color back into the scene

Description

This is another in my backyard collection of flowers and leaves.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Emotional Impact:
  • Mood Creation:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Textures and Patterns:
  • Use of Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Subject and Genre:
  • Post-processing:
  • Technical Aspects:
1 Like

Barbara, a fine closeup of this floral arrangement. The BG woks perfectly for this scene too. … :+1:

Barbara: Wonderful subject and a superb rendering. I applaud your choices. Well conceived, captured and presented. You might also consider posting this kind of image in flora in the future. >=))>

Beautiful job, Barbara. The flowers are obviously very well photographed and your post processing is exceptionally fine. I really like what you did with the background and your treatment of the flowers themselves is very subtle but also extremely effective in giving the image a very painterly look.

The flowers are great here Barbara. I love the brightness of the pinks, without it being oversaturated. The BG is really well done also. Nice work.

Looks like you have achieved your goal, Barbara, and very nicely. Love the painterly feel and your treasure chest of textures is a real plus. Very nicely conceived and executed. I would most definitely make this a wall hanger!

@Dennis_Plank , @Bill_Fach , @Paul_Breitkreuz , @linda_mellor, and @Ed_Williams I am humbled by your generaous feedback. It is gratifying to know that this technique of editing is appreciated. I find great joy in turning nature into art. Thank you.

1 Like

I really like your use of these backgrounds, @Barbara_Djordjevic. As someone in a different thread noted, it’s not typical of nature photography, but I really enjoy seeing these background colors and textures.

They give the image a painterly feel, and also a kind of antique feeling. There is something that feels a little old-fashioned about them, and please know that I don’t mean that in a bad way at all. It’s like it gives the flowers a sense of grace and gravitas. They have been not merely captured or artfully rendered, but “presented with honor,” or something.

What a great project! Each of these is special, and the color choices are perfect. I’m really enjoying perusing them.

ML

Thank you very much, @Marylynne_Diggs, for you thoughts. You so beautifully put into words what I am hoping to do with the presentaation of these plants and flowers. I could never have verbalized it so clearly. I am striving for a timelessness of what nature says to us about our world.