Over the limit? and re-post

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I’m used to seeing an Osprey grab a fish from the ocean and fly off to its nest. This Osprey kept flying low to the ground and occasionally would rest on a piece of driftwood. I wonder if the fish was too heavy. Eventually I lost it when it flew over a dune. Don’t know if the fish made it to feed the chicks.

Specific Feedback

Any thoughts appreciated.

Technical Details

Canon R5; 100-500 at 500 mm; 1/4000 at f7.1; ISO 800

It looks like you had pretty harsh light, Allen, but it’s a really neat documentary image, especially with the accompanying verbal description.

1 Like

Hi Allen, nice pose with the bird looking our way and with a big whole fish. As Dennis mentions, the light is harsh and I also notice noise on the bird. Wonder if this was a big crop or if shadows were brought up to a large extent. Still, an interesting story to go along with the image.

1 Like

Sounds like an epic struggle! I was hoping to get to where I know ospreys to live and hunt, but the river was so low that I didn’t bother. Maybe next year.

Terrific pose - in the act of turning or adjusting somehow. Those wings are so long. The proportions look pretty great, too, the fish is huge. Agree that the blacks look too light here and some contrast would improve things. Super catch.

1 Like

Cool catch – for you both!! I like the framing and the hint of BG. It does look a little worried somehow. I once saw one carrying a very large stick (more of a branch) and it appeared to be really struggling under the weight and panting hard. There is some noise in the darks that looks like it might be dealt with. The new tools are amazing.

1 Like

Hi Allen
Nice framing and great eye contact.
Peter

1 Like

Thanks @Dennis_Plank , @Allen_Sparks , @Kris_Smith , @Diane_Miller , and @peter for your comments and suggestions. Here’s a re-post. I ran some noise reduction and played around with the brightness and contrast and ran some de-haze on the foreground.

Looks much better to my eye! Had to open two browser windows to toggle back and forth – easier to evaluate if you add a new version to the OP, which allows jumping between them.

1 Like

Looks a lot better, Allen, particularly the wings.

1 Like

Hi Allen
This posting looks much better.
Peter

1 Like

Nice job on the rework.

My first thoughts were harsh light and shadows worked too much on the bird. So guess I agreed with most here, but the repost is done really well. Nice job on the processing to save this one!!

1 Like

Great catch and excellent final editing.

1 Like