Owens Valley Sunrise

We had gone to this location 3 different mornings trying to get a clear, “pretty” sunrise. Each time we were meet with cloud cover on the mountain tops. We were expecting more of the same. But when the sun came up we had this beam of light that found an opening. I was here the year before with so so luck. This is cropped more to the left than a normal crop but was the only way to bring in the light and still keep that S curve. Still isn’t what I wanted, but I thought it was a nice alternative and will probably go back.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any and all.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any and all.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

This is a single with the right side cropped for the light and a dirt bank in the lower right.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Greg,

This is a scene from a location that I am familiar with and it makes me happy to see this. I think you have got some really nice sky. One of the challenge shooting at this location (at least for me) is to get a balanced composition between the left and the right. The curving Owens river points to the right and big mountains (like Mt Tom) are all on the right side of the image. I think you have made a nice balance here with that light on the left and the clouds, too. They somehow offset the heaviness on the right although I still think that there is still that tension from the river that pulls the eyes away from the light. I think you have processed the image well except perhaps I will rotate the image CCW by one or two degrees.

I really like this image. We all hit these challenges when travelling wishing for not only a great scene but great light too. You kept at it and the results show the pay off. Great foreground too. thanks for sharing this beauty.

I like the colors in the vegetation and the light on the mountains. Beautiful sky too. The s-shape of the water leads the eye into the scene. It doesn’t bother me that the river pulls the eye away from the light, for me the sky is not the main subject of the image, just the very welcome addition to a beautiful scene. Although this sky on the right side would have been a bonus.

Spent quite a few mornings myself at this spot. Eastern Sierra winter sunrises can be difficult - lots of cloudless mornings and then others that are totally socked in. I’d say this light is pretty decent. I like the transition from warm to cool across the frame. Processing looks good but I would experiment with either selective color or color balance to pull the yellow/warmth down in the brush.

Love this shot, Greg. Have to say, I have a soft spot for this area and river myself. I hope to catch something like this. Truly beautiful job. I might consider doing a small crop up from the bottom or clone out because of those few brush pieces in the lower right, but they are so small it was only an after thought. This took my breath away and made me wish I was back up that way myself. Thanks for making me feel as if I was. :slight_smile:

Hi Greg,

Great light this morning. My only feedback would have been to take another shot without the sky as I think that the texture of the bush, the shape of the shoreline and the light of the water is strong enough to be a subject in its own right.

Greg,

I’m really enjoying this one. Photography is mostly all about light - but that doesn’t mean sunlight falling directly on a scene. I like the soft, subtle nature of the grasses and of course the stream curving through. The light action up top is an added bonus that combines well for this near/far landscape. Works beautifully as presented for me.

Lon

1 Like

Very nice shot Greg, I love the colors. I think a slight image rotation might as Adhika suggested might help?

Thanks @Lon_Overacker appreciate the feedback.

Thanks @Nathan_Klein. I hadn’t thought of that. I will take a look.

Thanks @Dave_Dillemuth. I brought up the midtones which took care of some of the saturation.

Thanks @Dave_Dillemuth, @Nathan_Klein, @Lon_Overacker, @Blake_Randall, @kori, @Han_Schutten, @Andrew_Sentipal, @Adhika_Lie for all the input. I took everyone’s suggestion in one form or other and made some adjustments.

I think your repost with the tweaks nailed it, Greg. The light on the BG peaks is gorgeous and I like the warm tones of the FG grasses along with the S curve in the river. Beautifully done.

Thanks @Ed_Lowe. Appreciate all the input!

i like the repost a lot Greg, it works very well for me.

Thanks @Ed_McGuirk it is much appreciated!