Patch Work

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any and all.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any and all.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
This shot at 105mm at sunrise and cropped a fair amount.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Nice view of some high desert vegetation. I might bring out a bit more of the blue/cyan of the sage, but the warmer presentation here also looks good. It looks like fine morning light in a very familiar looking location. Good scene.

The Eastern Sierra is a magical place. Perhaps it’s familiarity but although this is not showing the mountains, it spells Eastern Sierra for me. Gorgeous light you have there. I think I can have this presented both this way or with the cyan/blue brought out more. What a wonderful location.

Greg, I love the light, colors and textures here, they are a magnificent combination. Your processing of the light and color really brings out the full richness of this scene, The way you caught the light kissing the tops of the grasses takes this image up several notches. While I like this very much as presented, I would consider a slight crop form the top. The background hill is not as interesting to me as the trees and grasses, and I think a small crop from the top would place more emphasis on the trees. But overall this is very nicely done on your part.

Nice work. I like the processing of the sagebrush, the variety of colors in that area. I think this would have been stronger if all of the leaves on those trees were illuminated rather than a few. Another words, the shadows in the tree line don’t work for me. Perhaps raise the darks overall in the image. @Dave_Dillemuth should give good advice on this.

Nice Shot Greg, I love the colors, textures and the timing with the light is perfect.

I like this a lot. The color and light are gorgeous. A slight punch up of the cyan in sage would be nice, as would a slight crop from the top. The trees and the foreground are the stars of the show here, so that’s what led me suggest the crop.

I have not been in that country for quite some time. I need to get back there!
-P

Nice shot. I absolutely love the colors and textures in the foreground. I agree that some of the hill can be cropped out a bit. I might also experiment with bringing the tree highlights closer to the level of the foreground vegetation.

Ahh that Owens Valley foliage spot. I’ve probably spent two weeks of sunrises here ; o ).

You’ve got some beautiful warm colors in the foliage and did a good job managing the dynamic range as these backlit sage can get blown out. A few thoughts for your consideration. Firstly, to my eyes the image is tilted CCW a fair amount. Second, I would either crop, clone or burn down that bright sage along the edge of the left frame. Lastly, I agree with @Preston_Birdwell on working to get more color separation by increasing the cyan in the sage.

Thanks for the input @Dave_Dillemuth, @Preston_Birdwell, @Cameron_Miller, @Blake_Randall, @Igor_Doncov, @Ed_McGuirk, @Adhika_Lie, @Harley_Goldman. I made an assortment of adjustments according to suggestions and here is what I came up with. Any post suggestions are also welcome.

2 Likes

I like the improvements here, Greg, especially the increase in contrast. Very well done.

I like the redo, it looks like there is a bit more color separation

Redo looks good :ok_hand:

Thanks @Adhika_Lie, @Nathan_Klein, @Blake_Randall. Appreciate it!

Greg,

Beautiful setup, light, colors bottom to top. Love this scene.

Hard to be critical here, but I think this could be tweeked a bit. I think others have commented, but I would suggest increasing the luminosity of the willows. Yeah, the light isn’t striking all the trees evenly, but would love to see them brightened up some. Minor suggestion would be a very slight crop off the bottom and left (or burn down the brightest grasses left edge) and a bit of crop off the top. Just to tighten things up and make a little more of a narrow format presentation.

Lon