Painted Lady Butterfly

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Seen at the local botanic gardens. I think the flower is Mexican sunflower. I like the bit of dew on the flower.

Specific Feedback

Any

Technical Details

Canon 90D, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 1.4x extender II
ISO 2500, f13, 1/3200s, hand held

1 Like

Neat flower all by itself, but a butterfly always makes things better. Looks like a tiny thing. I like the pose and how well the petals look in the scene. Orange is my nemesis sometimes. And your background is very nice, too. Did you have to change positions a lot or just sit and wait? Either way, you’ve got all of the wings basically crisp which is also difficult to pull off.

Both actually. I had to wait for the butterfly to fly on this particular flower and also move to line up the best background and then wait again for it to get in this position on the flower. It took a little while but I kept my eye on this flower and moved into place once the butterfly landed near it.

1 Like

Beautiful work, Allen and well worth your patience.

Allen, you are a very patient photographer, but it paid off. I tell myself that is what I am going to do for my macro photography, and then I find myself chasing around after the bee, butterfly or whatever the subject. Very nicely done.

Allen, beautiful shot. Yes like Dennis says, patience is the key. This looks like you stacked this shot with all the detail you captured, nice. The only thing I would play with is the background. Its a little to dark i think.