Painted Lady Butterfly

I have started trying for in flight butterfly shots this season. I got this yesterday morning.

Canon 7D2, 70-200mm f2.8 IS II, 1.4x TC II
ISO 400, f5.6, 1/4000s, hand held

Any comments appreciated.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
3 Likes

A great in flight shot, Allen. I love that the flower is included. The details in the BF are really great. The background just makes him and the flower pop. Excellent image, and I think the square format works well here. :+1::+1:

“Houston, we have lift off.” The bf looks like it was spring loaded, Allen. A fine action catch. Looks like you’ve got a number of fresh young butterflies.

Allen: Really well done. Terrific plane of focus management especially. I’m OK with the square format but my first impression was to crop some from the left and I think I still would. :+1::+1:>=))>

Hi Allen, well done – this makes me want to get out and work on butterflies, too! I looked at your specs and applaud your success, especially with a non-mirrorless camera AND being handheld. I come from the dark ages (film cameras and always a tripod) and feel more comfortable with the tripod as my support system. Your gear isn’t lightweight and you have achieved high quality imagery. As for the square crop, I don’t object to it because I formerly used Hasselblad equipment, which is square format. You could crop this almost any way and have it look “right.” The subjects lend themselves to a vertical format, but you could also crop down from the top and include a bit more space in front of the butterfly. “Negative space” doesn’t mean the photo is negative. It provides a space for the subject to move into, or the photo could be used as a double-page spread in a magazine, with the title and some text on the left side. The possibilities are limitless.

1 Like