Palm Warbler at Rest

D500, 600mm f4 (1/800 sec at f6.3, ISO 1100) cropped away 30% of frame, Topaz Denoise AI, Brightness & Contrast, Burned light parts of twig, rubber stamp tool for removing white streak in front of bird’s head, and used David Kingham’s microcontast technique for feather details. Thanks for looking…Jim

2 Likes

Really nice photo, Jim and another of the beautiful warblers on display. I like the simple perch angling out of view, as well. Excellent detail.

1 Like

I am enjoying the pose and perch. Looks a tad oversharpened in the head area.

1 Like

Hi Jim
Vary pretty warbler the detail and coloring a great.( What ever David Kingham’s microcontast technique for feather details is) its working. The only thing I would do is trim a little off the left side of the frame. On my Apple monitor the head look good.
Peter

1 Like

I agree a very pretty bird. A nice simple composition, eye contact, slight head turn, and soft bg makes a very nice photo.

1 Like

Overall - lovely
Please consider toning down the bright branch and bottom left
Love the engagement with you !

1 Like

Just beautiful, Jim. I love how that smooth grey background compliments the grey feathers in this cute little Warbler. I agree with Karl about maybe toning down the perch just a bit, it wants to pull my eye to it. Great pose and excellent capture.

1 Like

Wonderful catch with great detail! I agree about toning down the brightest parts of the perch, and removing the cyan cast. I would even consider a small crop from the bottom to remove the most OOF part. I’d also crop from the top and left as the negative space there doesn’t have enough interest to balance the visual weight of the bird.

1 Like

Hi Jim, beautiful warbler well captured. The background sets off this beauty quite well and I like his position on the perch. well done.

1 Like

Very attractive. Good detail. No nits from me. Is David’s technique somewhere on the NPN site?

1 Like

David has a blog site and I will dig up the address for you. Thank you all for comments and suggested edits.

David’s microcontrast technique can be found here: https://www.exploringexposure.com/blog/post-processing/creating-micro-contrast-in-photoshop/#:~:text=The%20contrast%20between%20the%20light%20and%20dark%20areas,is%20an%20example%20of%20low%20and%20high%20micro-contrast.

1 Like