Papa Bald

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? That BG treetop okay?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

We have a local nesting pair of Bald Eagles and I went down to check and make sure that the nest is still being “sat”, which it was, then I drove around and a bit later investigated a favorite shoreline treetop perch that they like using and there was the papa. I got as close as I could to it and waited for it for some possible taking off, and flying shots. It finally did take off then it soared overhead for a bit before drifting off. Here’s my favorite shot I got of it taking off. I kinda wish that BG treetop wasn’t right there but I’m too lazy to do the work to make it go away. Does it survive with its original environment? D500, Nikon 200-500 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, hand held, 1/3200th, f 8.0, 700mm, ISO 640, AI Clear

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

You captured some great action here! As you mentioned, the BG treetop is a little distracting, but not a dealbreaker IMO. If this were mine, I would do less of a square crop and have more room on the bottom so that he’s less centered and has space to “fly into” if that makes sense. :slight_smile:

Birds that always impress me. You caught the right moment. I would choose for some more space in the lower left if possible, to give it some space to dive into. Other than that fine as presented. Cheers, Hans

Good action shot. Nice detail in the head and wings and some blur in the legs to give it a sense of motion. I like that there is the foliage in the background-beats a solid blue sky and gives the shot some context. Agree with adding a bit more room to fly into and could see cloning out the needles in the lower left corner.

Nice shot of the eagle, Dave. I like the wing position. If you have more room on the bottom and left, I’d put some back in as others have noted. If you don’t have room in those directions, I’d just add some canvas on the left and clone out that last little cluster of needles that Allen mentioned. The tree behind the eagle doesn’t bother me a bit-it adds context.