Passing Storm

Sitting with my wife, drinking our coffee on the first morning of our canoe trip I could see that a storm was moving across the lake in front of us and I thought it might be interesting to chronicle its path. I set up my camera (much to my wife’s chagrin) and began taking pictures every few minutes for about an hour or more until it finally began to rain too hard to keep the water off my lens. It was a very hazy morning and at the time, we barely noticed that there was any lightning, so you can imagine how pleased I was when I downloaded the photographs to find this one with a double strike. That combined with the beautiful cloud formation, was the perfect outcome, which only goes to show that it’s better to be lucky than good. Always interested in your impressions whether emotional or technical.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

Even though the full dynamic range was captured in one frame it took a lot of work to get the image where I wanted it. The brightest areas of the sky, while not blown out, were exposed to the right (on the histogram) and bringing the light back down with contrast was tricky. I ended up with a lot of banding in what is the darker areas of the sky – centre and lower right below the clouds. I know what banding is but I’m not clear whether it is strictly a digital phenomenon that won’t show up on a print or not. In any case, what I learned is that only way to get rid of it for digital presentation is to add noise. The best way I found in Ps is to create a smart object and then under the Blur menu in Filter to select Surface Blur. Gaussian will work but Surface Blur gives a bit more control. And then mask the mask and paint in (or out) where needed. I hope it doesn’t show up again when the image is compressed here on NPN or elsewhere.

1 Like

I really like how the trees in this image seem to come forward from the rest of the image. I’m pretty sure this was processed in that manner as opposed to sunlight. You must’ve raised it luminosity and contrast and saturated it a bit. Had it remained flatter as in the background I think it would be weaker. As in you previous images, the clouds and their light has been done really well. The lightning is nice but frankly not that important to me. Yes, it does add a story to the image and even some drama.

You provided some good technical information I didn’t know about banding Kerry.

The sky is beautifully processed. I love the low contrast of the clouds and the highlights are perfectly blended in with the rest of the clouds. It’s very soft instead of angry. Even the lightening strikes are not in your face powerful like you normally get with stormy weather. It’s all very subdued and non threatening which is quite unlike most stormy weather and I think that’s what I like about this image the most. It’s uniqueness. And of course those softly textured clouds. THey are mesmerizing.

Sometimes it pays to be both lucky and good, but most of all patient enough to wait for the best conditions.

To me the most appealing aspect of this image is it’s warm glowing luminosity, both in the sky and water. A lot folks process “storm light” more aggressively in terms of contrast, but I think your softer, gentler approach used here works really well.

While this image would work very well even without the lightning, I like how the U- shape of the clouds kind of funnels the viewers eye down to the lightning bolts. The lightning is additive to the image without dominating the scene.

I also find this image intriguing with the mostly lighter tones and level of contrast that is not common in storm images.

Kerry,
I have to say that you have been on a roll with these images from your canoe trip as they have been outstanding. I like your subtle processing for this scene. Even though a storm is coming the image has this wonderful glow and luminosity to it and of course the twin lightning strikes are the cherry on top. No suggestions from me.

Wonderful! You’ve captured that light that thunder storms bring. Catching the lightning is the icing on the cake.

The softness of the image is very appealing.

@Igor_Doncov - Thanks for your thoughtful comments. About the trees in the foreground, you’re partly correct, I did bring them forward but I was prompted by the existing filtered light which hit only on that particular spot. So, I amplified that (with a little D&B, contrast, texture and colour balance) rather than creating it. I’m glad you feel that way about the lightning. I didn’t want this picture to be about that but rather only have the lighting heighten the existing mood.
@David_Haynes - thanks David. Diffuse light has become my favourite mood lighting and I have been slowly learning how to maximize it through post-processing.
@Ed_McGuirk - As always, your comments are much appreciated. As I said to David, diffuse light has become a favourite of mine and I’m trying to develop a lighter touch when working with it in post.
@Ed_Lowe - Thanks for your comments, Ed. I hope to create a pdf monograph, maybe call it “Temagami Dawn” including twenty or so of the best of these dawn images. I have to figure out how to post a pdf link so folks can access the monograph (I am largely tech illiterate … and I like it that way :crazy_face:!)
@DeanRoyer , @glennie - Thank you both for taking the time to look and comment. Much appreciated.