Patience + Repost

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Spotted this Green Heron at a lake drain waiting for an unsuspecting fish caught in the current. My presence, about 20 feet away, didn’t seem to bother him one bit.

Specific Feedback

All comments and suggestions are welcome and thanks for viewing.

Technical Details

Fuji X-H2, ISO 500, f/8, 1/500, 420mm, Fuji XF70-300m with 1.4x extender. Post processing included adjustments to exposure, contrast, brightness, shadows, sharpening, and noise reduction. Cropped a bit to reduce areas of drain and water.

Great catch, Jim. Some of this species seem to become very tolerant of humans. I was in Texas once and there was one perched on the rail of a boardwalk going gout into the water. It totally ignored the people going by.

To my eye, this feels a bit over-saturated and the crop feels a little tight. I know you wanted to minimize the grate, but the bird feels pretty cramped.

Thanks @Dennis_Plank, I agree, a little tight. Will try to tone it down some too.

Hi Jim, I love these herons. The colors and patterns on them are great even though I agree with Dennis that the saturation on this one can come down some. Of course they perch where they will. Also agree this composition is a little tight. Still, a nice catch of a real beauty.

Thank you @Allen_Sparks for your nice comments. I reduced the saturation somewhat, which I believe was from applying some dehaze, but it looks much better.

Good job on the repost, Jim. Yeah, dehaze does include a saturation bump.