Pecos Pueblo Kiva

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Can you feel the solemnity of this place?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

The grounds of Pecos National Historical Park, a United States National Historical Park in San Miguel and Santa Fe Counties, New Mexico, include a number of Kivas—a subterranean room used by Puebloans for religious rituals and political meetings

Technical Details

Canon EOS 5D II; Canon EF 28-70mm @ 28mm; f/16 @ 2 sec, -1 EV, ISO 100; Gitzo tripod. RS BH 55; Canon RS-803N

Specific Feedback

Whatever you wish.

1 Like

I love the light in this image, Bob, particularly the reflected light against the walls and roof. As for a feeling of solemnity, it doesn’t pop out at me from just the image. To me an image sometimes needs a few words to to make it generate the feeling the photographer wants in the viewer. Without that, there’s simply too much dependence on the viewer’s background, knowledge and mood.

Thank you @Dennis_Plank for your comments and observations. You made mention previously about an image sometimes needs a few words to to make it generate the feeling the photographer wants in the viewer. I endeavor to inform the viewer about the subject, in my discussion of an image. In this case I explained that a kiva is where the natives held religious and political conclaves, hence an aura of solemnity. Perhaps a different title may give a hint to the reader.
My observation of responses to posted images, not just mine, is that many viewers do not look at the hidden information. In one instance a viewer penned an opinion, then read the hidden data, and determined his original post was inappropriate. He admitted it and wrote a more appropriate opinion.