Pemaquid by Moon Light

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

The criteria was for a moonlight shot, however, while this photo was inspired by just moonlight, I thought the juxtaposition of both moonlight and the manmade light added to the quality of the shot, adding more mystery. What do you think?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Technical Details

Tripod, ISO 200, 17mm, f5.0, 10 sec., EOS 20D

It’s a fine look at this lighthouse with the light, the moon and the interior lights showing. I do think that a double exposure, to control the brightness of the moon would be an improvement. Given the position of the moon, it’s clearly not the light source for the buildings, but it’s presence adds a lot to the view. I do need to move this to Nightscape & Astro because non-nature images are only allowed is Weekly Challenge when it’s stated in the description (see the Weekly Challenge description).

Thank you for your observations. You are right about the over brightness of the moon, and I’ll correct it. Move the photo where you see fit.

Regards
Harvey

84CC6363696B42E0A8869C973083017A.jpg

An interesting image, with the buildings nicely illuminated and the stars adding interest. I agree a double exposure for the moon would have been a nice touch.

1 Like

Thank you Diane, I agree.

There is certainly agree with @Mark_Seaver - since the dynamic range is too much for a single exposure, try blending in 2-3 exposures - keeping on mind the reality of the situation

Thank you Karl.

Regards
Harvey

84CC6363696B42E0A8869C973083017A.jpg