Peppermint Tulips

Tried to capture these tulips from several angles. This was the winner with blurred tulips in the background.

Specific Feedback Requested

To me, the most interesting feature is the striped color in the blossoms. I was not able to get a sharper version of the inside petal. I would like to know if that is distracting to viewers. Also I am interested in comments about the overall composition.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Olympus OMD micro four-thirds , 60mm macro lens, ISO200 1/15 sec. Tripod. Photo taken inside with natural light.

@annlouiselyman
2 Likes

Ann Louise: This comp works really well for me and I like your selective focus and POF/DOF choices. I also like the lighting. Very nicely done. >=))>

Thank you, Bill. The depth of the flower is hard to work with I discovered. The tulips were fun to work with.

Reminds me of a Motown group with the lead and backup singers. I think the OOF flowers with their undersides showing are a nice complement to the 3/4 view of the lead. Such soft light and peaceful colors. I bet they smell good too. I’m on the fence about the leaf. Do I want more or less?

Beautiful tulips, with wonderful lighting! The soft focus on the back petal works for me to separate it and let the front petal stand out. To get both in focus would take stacking but I don’t think it’s necessary here.

I would like enough canvas on top to fit the leaf tip in the frame, and maybe more on the bottom and right as well. The OOF blooms are gorgeous in their own right. What would you think about either darkening or removing the brighter piece in the LL?

@Kris_Smith @Diane_Miller : Thank you both for noting what you see in the composition and what can be improved. I will take another look at the crop. I may be able to get the end of the leaf in the frame…by piecing from another shot. I wanted the leaf to balance all the pink. I like that you have noticed the back petal soft focus helps the front petal stand out. Thanks for pointing out the bright pink in the LL. I looked at this photo so long an never noticed that! I will do something with it. I really appreciate your taking the time to give me your insights!