Pied-billed Grebe

I had a great session with this bird back in December of 2018 and posted a couple of images then. This one popped up on my rotating desktop this morning and I liked it enough to go back and make sure I hadn’t posted it before.

In some ways, I would have liked a lower angle, but this was taken from a car on a raised dike at a wildlife refuge where you have to stay in the vehicle. Besides, I would have lost the ripples with a really low angle.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 403 mm, beanbag on car window, f/8, 1/800, iso 2000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS. I can’t remember, but I suspect I cleaned up the water a bit and made other minor adjustments. I do remember being pretty happy with this series out of the camera. Taken December 19th, 2018 at 11:05 am.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Dennis, I am fine with the higher position, because I do like the ripples in the water encircling him. The color of the tree reflections compliment the colors in his feathers nicely as well. Love how you caught his head position.

Excellent detail in the plumage, and lovely natural tones and color. The head/neck position reminds me of the way a swan would pose.

Looks like the same PBG in the same canal from the same dike I photographed one at Ridgefield NWLR in November of 2018. The light is excellent and the detail superb. I am really enjoying the amazing neck contortions of this little bird. What a great pose!

Nice one, Dennis ! Sometimes a higher POV has it advantages, and this is one of them. On the larger version I noticed the blossom(?) floating on the water, which makes for a nice color detail in the image. Love it ! Hans

Hi Dennis, love the feather detail you captured here along with the water. Interesting pose too.

A very graceful pose. Excellent detail and color and the ripples add a lot.