Pine Siskin Acrobat

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Years ago we had a cord dangling from one corner of the garage for an unknown reason and we noticed that the young Pine Siskins loved to land on it and swing. Several years later,it was gone and I was putting up a cross bar for a bird feeding station and decided to hang this cord from it. While we’re not using the crossbar for feeders any more, the Siskins are still using the string as of this morning.

Specific Feedback

I’m very uncertain about this crop. I like the idea of having a long string and keeping the Siskin relatively small in the frame, but I’m not at all sure about how much is too much. This is my current iteration, but I’d love to hear other opinions.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, tripod, f/9, 1/500, iso 3200. Preprocessed in DxO PureRaw 4, processing in LR + PS CC. Cropped to 3032x4272. I removed some greener areas in the background that seemed disruptive and brightened the bird a bit.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

This is so cute and engaging. Seems like these little guys need a little fun, too. And it’s interesting because for a little while there, I had an American Goldfinch visiting the paracord hanging on the windows to warn birds away from my windows. He’d come and swing on the strings and then peck his reflection in the glass. Mostly he seemed like he was exploring, but I didn’t really know.

I like the simple line and the upside-down bird - no background or explanation needed, just a puff of cotton and a curious critter.

Love it! I think he/she is interested in that fuzzy rope end for nesting material.
Different, sharp, great pose, clean BG, and just a fun image!

Different! Good use of blank space.

Very nice. No need to change anything, for me.

Fun!! The small subject works for me here, although I would be camped there looking for tighter views too if these acrobatics are common. This looks like a juvenile? Are they more inclined to have fun than the adults? I’ve often wondered that about with our acorn woodpeckers.