Pine Siskin

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I like the pose with the siskin looking right at me.

Specific Feedback

Any thoughts appreciated.

Technical Details

Canon R5; 100-500 with 1.4 TC at 700 mm; 1/1000 at f10, +1/3 EV; ISO 1250

5 Likes

Whoa, Allen. Two great shots in a row! I love this one with the somewhat unconventional pose, the great head-n view and the obvious source of the debris on the beak. Once again, a beautiful brown toned image.

1 Like

Fantastic catch! I wonder how long you waited there for this pose. It’s great fun and shows feeding behavior really well. Super background and details. Did you try playing with leaving more room below the bird than above? Might contribute to its feeling precarious.

1 Like

Thanks for your comments, Kris. How long did I wait? Probably seconds. It’s pretty much a combination of being at the right place at the right time and luck. These guys don’t stay put for very long, so I probably took several shots in the few seconds it was feeding. Actually, I ended up cropping from below as I wanted a more direct feeling of the bird looking at the viewer.

Love the pose you caught Allen. Great head on look and really special shot with the bird hanging from the stem. Striking image.

1 Like

I agree with all that’s been said Allen. This one is really a great head on view almost as if the siskin is asking you to take it’s picture. Or it is a junior higher playing look with it’s food? Not sure which. Congrats on the EP.

1 Like

Thanks @Dennis_Plank and @Allen_Sparks for the EP. A pleasant surprise.

I don’t know how I missed this, but I’m glad I’ve caught up with it. Seen in the thumbnail I thought it was a growth on the twig - then a fantastic surprise to see it properly later. Well done!

1 Like

I think this is such a great bird shot. Everyone is always making comments about bird on a stick. But this view puts that to rest. Congrats on this.

1 Like

Thanks, Andrew, and welcome to NPN. A great place to show your work and receive constructive feedback. I know I’ve learned a lot being a member.

That’s a fun shot and beautiful colors. Grats!

1 Like