Pine Siskin

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D500, 80-400 Nikkor at 360, f11 @ 1/200, tripod used

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
These little guys show up as many as 50 at a time costing me a lot in Niger seed.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Skip, this is a beauty IMO. I’ve never seen one so enjoying your post. Nice detail in the feathers. Nice perch and bgnd. Not a nit from me!

Jim
Louisville, KY

We have these by the hundreds year round at our Alaska home, and they’re favorites. Since we don’t put out a feeder (Bears love them!), I’ve never managed a single photo of one. So yeah, this is a standout to me. Very nicely done, especially for a bird so skittish and reluctant to stay in one spot for long.

This is a great portrait, Skip, on a great perch, too. You’ve caught it in a very nice pose, very nice head angle, and the soft light works to your big advantage here. I might try masking out the NR a little on the birds as I start to see some blurring on the fine feather details especially around the eye.

Hi Skip,

Large view is a must see. I think that you have enough detail and sharpness on the subject. The yellow areas in the wing and tail provide enough color that generates additional interest in the subject. Well done…Jim

Hi, Skip - beautiful image. Tack-sharp, nicce pose, and great BG.
Theonly possible nit for me is that the eye could be a bit brighter, with a better catch-kight. Easily achieved with levels slider or brightness/contrast to the eye only.
Sweet image!
Sandy

Excellent detail and a very nice pose, Skip.