Pine Siskin

Another from the blind yesterday. The light was pretty spotty in my larger ground pond and I’d put a decorative old stump in as a perch. This Siskin came down it to get a drink and I liked the strong contrast in the lighting.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything. There was a fair amount of spot cleanup done on this one, so if you see any anomalies, please let me know.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Does all that dark area work?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 484 mm, tripod with ball head and Sidekick, f/8, 1/1000, iso 1250, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 16 MP. Taken yesterday at 8:36 am.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hi Dennis,
I really like your set up and the results here. The stump looks great - really natural setting and the light isolating the bird is terrific. Nice exposure and I like the view of the split end of the tail. A bird I rarely see in Tennessee. Well done!

1 Like

Really nice diagonal bird in the spotlight. Beautifully framed by the dark background on the right and the warm colors on the left. Superb detail and an excellent pose.

I like the composition with the bird spotlighted and the darker areas. Very nice detail. Do you feel that f8 is the sweet spot on this lens?

Feels like f/8 works well for most bird shots to me, Allen. 7.1 works well too, but I tend to like just a tad more depth of field than I get with that, so 8 is my default.