Pine with Bare Trees Anderson Pond

Bare Tree with Pines Anderson Pond

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I know I really should only post one photo, but I found these while walking in a local nature preserve here in Aiken, SC. These were taken within about 10 minutes of each other, and I am pretty sure they were from about the same spot. I first found the lone pine against the bare trees and shrubs.

The second scene was only a few yards down the pond where the lone bare tree is against a backdrop of the pines. I did have to lighten it up a bit to get it to stand out more.
I know both have a similar composition, but to get them alone, these were the best. Though, I did try a square crop on them, and that could work. But, I think the more horizontal shape tells a better story of them being the only ones like themselves in the group.

Specific Feedback

Do these two work together to tell a story? Or just one more than the other. I did try flipping them, so one was on the other side of the frame. (The bare tree alone seemed to look OK that way.) Though, I think I like them on the same side.

Technical Details

Canon R
24-240mm
ISO: 400
#1 1/160 sec, f/7 at 150mm
#2 1/100 sec, f/9 at 123mm

I think they do being the opposites they are, but still obviously part of the same scenery. I like the horizontals for the additional isolation of the main trees and that including more trees in each’s opposing state is quite effective. They both look like they need a bit of cw rotation. It’s obvious that the light changed between the two shots, so if you want to put them together you might try processing them with an eye for cohesion. Separately though, they work pretty well. Nicely seen!

1 Like

Patrick, posting more than one image is a single post is fine. I agree that there’s a fine “opposites” feeling between the two views. I prefer the first view, where you’ve got strong horizontal “lines” that let the lone pine stand out beautifully. In the second view, the bright horizontal green branch behind the bare tree keeps keeps your subject from standing out as strongly. I’m also intrigued by the significant color differences between the reeds in the two photos.

1 Like

Thank you @Kris_Smith and @Mark_Seaver . The light didn’t change much, it was my processing of each on their own that did it. As I was ready to post them, I noticed the difference, too. But I was tired by that point. I have gone back and got them a little closer. The first one did need a little rotation. Thanks for seeing that. Shotting at an angle of an irregular shore line does play havoc on where the horizon should be.

I really like the 2nd image, but I Love the first image. The colors, the green outstanding tree, the reflection in the water. To me it draws the eye in and lets it roam around. Very nice work and good eye!

1 Like