Pitcher Plant Bloom

Here are two views of a bloom from one of the Pitcher plants that part of my pond system. These were take last May with slightly different shooting parameters and tripod placement. I’m struck by the different responses that I have to these two very similar views. The first one seems much more “in your face”, especially after I crop to 8.5 x ll. The second view, from a different position, with more separation between the flower and the background, feels gentler to me. I’m interested in how others react. Shooting parameters are: 5D3, 100-400 @ 278, 1/60 s, 1/125 s, f/10, iso 200, tripod.

Fascinating flower well photographed! I prefer the second as it has just a bit more breathing room, and also for the removal of the highlighted leaves in the BG.

Have you tried any tweaks to the BG color? It seems a bit dominant to me, competing with the lovely flower. Selective Color for the Greens might work without having to mask the flower, or else it would be pretty easy to select the flower well enough for a subtle adjustment.

Beautiful colors Mark. I like the brightness of the photo, especially on cloudy rainy days like we’re having recently. I prefer the second because, as @Diane_Miller has said, it gives the flower a little more room and the highlights seems a bit more subdued.

I also prefer the second for the reasons mentioned by Diane and Linda. Real nice image, too.

Mark: The BG really does create a different feel. #1 is much more dynamic with the flower seeming to be coming out of an explosion. # 2 is more of a classic portrait. I’ll take one of each :wink:. :+1: :+1:>=))>

I second @Bill_Fach’s comment! I would be well pleased to call either of these mine. That is a very interesting bloom. Very nice.

I agree with the majority on the second crop. A little less brightness of the background colors will bring more focus on the pitcher plant’s flower. We only see these in botanical gardens here, but in Nova Scotia I see them often along the roadside.

Lovely flower very well captured and rendered. I like both perspectives, but prefer #2. Agree with Patricia on toning down the background. Colors are lovely and composition is right on on #2.