Polar night

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A frosty day at the time of polar night

Technical Details

F13 / 1,6sec / iso100 /26mm

3 Likes

Jorma, this is lovely! I love the pinkish/lavender color of the light, the snowy foreground, the lake with reflections and gentle sky. Beautiful! I can’t think of anything I would do to it. Thanks for sharing your beautiful part of the world!

1 Like

This is gorgeous, Jorma. I really like your composition and the bit of mist rising from the lake. It’s so rare that we see images taken in polar winter that the light is really special.

2 Likes

Jorma, this is stunning! The light, glow, and colors are so serene. I hope you have created lots of cards with this image to send to friends and family.

1 Like

Thanks guys for the nice comments. The light of a short day can be magical and sometimes someone has claimed that the image has been over-processed. In this picture, I have even cut the redness a little, which seemed a bit excessive

1 Like

Jorma, WOW! The light is just breathtaking! I love the contrast between the sharp foreground and the soft background. Having lost any tolerance for cold after moving from upstate NY to Florida, I also realize what it took to brave the cold and acclimate your gear before taking this beautiful image. Kudos!

1 Like

Simply gorgeous! The colors are fantastic and it is a winter wonderland!

1 Like

Absolutely gorgeous! I really like the detail in the foreground trees and the glow of the light on the perfectly still lake. I can’t see how this could be improved.

1 Like

Thanks a lot Bill, Diane and Ron for nice comments!

Very beautiful and calming view, thanks for sharing this, Jorma!

Is this from Lake Inari? (peaked your profile info)
I used to spend most of my winter vacations in Lapland until late teenage years, we had a rustic cabin near Pulju. Nowadays I really wish to get back there with camera someday., the trip from Seattle WA is just bit longer than it used to be from Jyväskylä :smiley:

Thank you Kasperi. The picture is a few kilometers from Inarijärvi, in Paatsjoki and half a kilometer from the Russian border. That trip is only half the world. Famous nature photographers travel several times a year. And devotees en masse follow them like Shadows
If you ever think of traveling to Lapland, please contact us. In the summer I’m quite a lot at Inarijärvi because I have a big travel boat where I live almost all summer
If you want to read, a week ago the Onlandscape publication did a story about me

Have a nice Christmas and winter!

1 Like

Stunning image, Jorma. The light is incredible and to my eye does not look over processed at all. It looks exceptionally realistic. This is beautifully framed and composed and I particularly like the soft, foggy tree line in the background. It adds so much mood to the image. Simply magical.

Thanks a lot David for your nice comment

1 Like