Pond reflections

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was using my infrared camera at a local park that has a pond. These reflections caught my eye. I recall thinking that there was a lot of crud in the water and I would need some pretty aggressive processing to separate what I liked in the shot from what I didn’t like.

The free-standing item in the upper left is a floating palm frond.

Technical Details

ISO 1000, 70 mm, f/5.6, 1/50th sec. This camera has a black and white infrared filter. The camera needs about two additional stops for a “correct” exposure.

4 Likes

Another WOW for the morning! What amazes me here is the apparent perspective, with the pattern appearing to be draped on a table and falling off to the lower right. The patterns are fascinating and the high contrast treatment is perfect!

I never thought of using IR for reflections.

Don, simply fantastic! Great concept, creativity and execution! The patterns are mesmerizing and there is an illusion as Diane mentioned, where the patterns seem to drape over something towards the bottom half of the image. I could see this as a large vertical print on fine art baryta paper. Great work here Don!

This is very, very cool, Don. I was going to say that I’d never thought of going black and white on ripples, but the IR helps with that. The frame you chose to present is just wonderful. Reminds me a bit of Chinese calligraphy. Now we’ll all have to dust off our IR conversions and give this a try.

Diane, Alfredo and Dennis, thanks to all of you for commenting. Because I decided to use very high contrast with this one, I don’t think the infrared camera made a big difference. It would have been essentially the same shot with a regular camera.

I know what you mean about the fall-off of the pattern. I have no idea what caused it.

Again, thanks for the comments.

Very cool, Don! That palm frond looks like a quick brush stroke from the calligrapher’s pen.

1 Like

Really a very nice and unique image. The strong black lines really do suggest calligraphy.

Interestingly, I looked at it in full screen mode, which surrounded the image with white. Since the background is already white, it sort of had the effect of making the aspect ratio a little more square, and in some ways I liked that. I guess you could get a similar effect by just expanding the canvas and filling it with white.

Bonnie and Will, thanks. It seems that “calligraphy” occurs to many of us. The similarity to calligraphy occurred to me as I was taking the shot.

Don,

This is awesome! Wonderful abstract and a terrific job processing, presenting.

That brush stroke in the UL works very well in helping to balance out an otherwise blank area. I think with or without it, as with most abstracts, I could see cropping this to a less-tall format. But of course, a personal choice.

I see someone “doodlling” on a piece of paper, yes with a calligraphy pen… and more so, the result reminds me of the classic “Rorschach test”

Wonderfully seen, processed and presented.

Thanks very much, Lon.

I generally stick with a 2X3 aspect ratio because I mat and frame quite a few photos. Mats and frames are cheap and readily available for 2X3.

Absolutely fantastic image, Don! Could look at this for hours!

Thanks, Fritz.

1 Like

Wonderfully artistic Don; congrats on the EP!