Ponytail in Winter

Columbia Gorge.
I cannot wait for spring to see the greens after the fire and hopefully other falls like Elowah will be opened…
As you can see the moss is back bright as ever, I did nothing to it.
We are having a wet February with a lot of snow in the Cascades so the Gorge Falls should be
rocking throughout the Spring.
Any comments

appreciated.
Taken today Feb. 23.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Nice one, Dan. The electric green moss contrasts beautifully against the patches of snow, Just looking at the scene (hard to know what you were dealing with outside the frame) I think the comp. would be stronger with the falls more to the left. Regardless this is a solid image.

Nice to see an image from this area! I haven’t been back to any of the areas that were closed yet, but am looking forward to it. (I’m really appreciating this moisture too; we were pretty dry for awhile there!) I’m inspired by your image; if we get a low elevation snow I might have to visit Ponytail.

I’m okay with the placement of the falls, but would like just a tiny bit more at the top.

Dan,

Agree with Dave on those vibrant greens - Vibrant, yet still real; at least they look so to me even though I wasn’t there.

Also wondering what the other constraints were in terms of composition. I’m betting this was the best compromise. again, wasn’t there, but I can see a vertical/square crop with the three rounded boulders as the anchor and the falls coming in more from the left, if that makes sense. But not sure if that was possible.

I do wish for not only a little more room up top, but also just below the main boulder at the bottom. Minor points though.

I do like the leftover snow helping to add interest to the RH side of the image.

Lon

You have to love those PNW greens, Dan. The moss on the boulders is quite lovely IMO. I like the horizontal format here as I like those two moss covered trees on the right.I could also see a vertical working with a little crop from the left and a crop from the right about 3/4s of the right side of the boulders. Did you happen to shoot any verticals while you were there? Hopefully the area is recovering from the devastation of the fire.

Real nice popping image with those greens. I am fine with the falls placement, but it feels a touch tight on top. No telling what lurks up there, though. Nice work.

This is really an incredibly fine scene that, for me, reached another level when I looked at it in the largest format. Providing a large file as you did let us see the rich quality of this image, from the moss on the rock to that columnar basalt in the back.

As much as I like this I find the composition a bit awkward. It’s not something that really stands out too much either. You have the 3 round objects on the left and the water on the right and sweeping horizontals above that. Here is an alternative composition that utilizes the horizontal components in the upper section.

Hmmmm. I don’t know. The bottom feels cut off a bit.