Portland Head, Maine

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All comments are welcome & valued.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All comments are welcomed and valued.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

One shot, but did some perspective-blending with the lighthouse

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Nice work. The composition, sky, colors and light are all virtually perfect. I was fully expecting this to be a Lowe or McGuirk image and was surprised to see your name upon opening it. Somehow I feel as though I’ve seen this lighthouse when I lived in the area. That shale(?) makes a great foreground with all the lines pointing from the sides into the center. I find things like that to be very important in a composition. If you want to get nitpicky I do see something. The white of the lighthouse is pinker than the white of the house itself. Not a big deal.

Hi Doug! This is a beautiful image. The comp, exposure and details are excellent and I really the perspective. The colors and lighting are also right on. If Igor hadn’t mentioned it I wouldn’t have noticed the very slight difference in color on the lighthouse, but I assume that’s from the way the round walls capture the colors rather than anything to do with processing.

Well done!

@Igor_Doncov, I am a pure nature guy, and almost never shoot landscapes with hand of man. In fact, I have lived in New England my whole life, and have never even visited this location. But Portland Head Light, and it’s Nubble Light cousin in York, are probably the two most well known and iconic lighthouses in Maine.

But I digress. Doug, the composition and processing both look very well done here. I especially like your processing and colors of the rocks. It’s not easy to prevent those “black rocks of death (BROD)” from becoming a distraction, but you pulled it off here. I especially like the warmer WB used on the gray/brown rocks, the colors look very pleasing. Overall this is a very nicely handled image of this iconic location.

Hi Doug, well composed image. A like how you post processed it. I would exposed with a little bit longer shutter speed to obtain the sea more soft. Thanks for sharing.

Great looking image, Doug, The foreground rocks and their detail are wonderful, nice work on the soft sky. I originally thought the horizon was topping to the right, but maybe it is the walkway railing that altered my perception.

Hi Doug, Great shot. Shot this same scene a few years ago but was not lucky enough to catch the scene as you have with evening light and beautiful cloudy sky. Love the shot you have taken.
Wayne

Doug, Terrific image, great composition. I am a fan of lighthouses. This image works for me because the environment is fully present with the lighthouse. It looks like there is motion in the sky, but not so much in the water. Care to comment on this? Thanks.