Prairie Colors

The beauty of the prairie is much more subtle then other places. I was hiking at Buffalo Creek Wildlife Management Area in the panhandle of Nebraska when this scene caught my attention. I liked the color combination, the subtlety of the colors
and the simple composition. The mountains and the sea shore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Any and all feedback and critiques are welcome and appreciated. Thanks

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Canon Powershot G15, 30 mm, 1/500, f8, ISO 200

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

A simple but very nice small scene. I love your thought about the prairie!

I like the inclusion of the darker detail above the flowers to balance them. My only suggestion is to wonder if the intensity of the pinks is too strong?

Simple and well done is also what came to mind for me. Having seen the pinkish plant in person, it looks about right to my eye. Fine take from the prairie.

A very nice composition of a quiet scene. Like Diane, I appreciate your prairie philosophy.

Very nice and peaceful. I’ve spent a lot of years on the prairies of Minnesota and both Dakotas and couldn’t agree with you more. Your image makes me want to lie down and take a nap in the sunshine - great capture!

You are obviously a good listener Richard. The subtle pastel colors of these grasses are just wonderful, I love those pinks. While this is a simple composition on the surface, there are a lot of interesting, shapes, textures and colors in the grasses for the viewer to appreciate. The contrast between the saturated colors of the the flowers, and the more subtle colors of the grasses works
very well here.

I love those pinks so much that I even saw a companion image nestled in your original composition (not better just another variation). I think it makes for an interesting scene within the scene.

I love this image very much. It actually reminds me of the one I made in Idaho this fall. The flowers seem to float in the grass. It’s a feeling that’s somewhat similar to what others construct with trees peering out of the fog. There is sort of a magic about it. One thing I would try is too add more definition to the blades of grass to add texture, to bring attention in other parts of the image. I’m actually not sure if that would contradict what you’re trying to accomplish - a soft field.